When introduced in 1883, Liberty Head nickels bore a large roman numeral V (5) on the reverse but without the word cents. The obverse design was so similar to that of $5 gold pieces that con artists gold plated the nickels and successfully passed many of them off as $5 gold coins!
- First-year 1883 Liberty Head "No Cents" nickel
- Plated with 24k gold to re-create racketeer coin!
- Displayed in Littleton's exclusive Showpak®
- Back of Showpak tells fascinating racketeer story!
The word cents was added to the first-year-of-issue Liberty Head nickels partway through 1883 to thwart the con men, and the original 1883 "No Cents" nickel became a short-lived collector favorite. Order yours today!
- Mint: Philadelphia
- Product Type: Single Products
- Presentation: Gold Plated, Showpak
- Year: 1883