Get a very scarce 1843 or 1846 gold piece from the mint that converted raw gold from America’s second gold rush into U.S. coinage. Gold was discovered in the Georgia mountains in the 1820s – attracting over 15,000 prospectors. Local minters assayed and purchased ore for private gold coins, eventually inspiring Congress to establish a branch mint in Dahlonega, Georgia in 1838. This Georgia facility struck U.S. gold coins with “D” mint marks until 1861, when the facility was seized by the Confederacy and U.S. coin production ceased for good. Denominations include $1, $2.50 and $5, and a small number of $3 coins struck only in 1854. The facility was used by North Georgia College during the 1870s until destroyed by fire in 1878. These coins were handpicked for quality and eye appeal.
- Year: 1846
- Product Type: Single Products
- Denomination: $2.50 - Quarter Eagle
- Mint Mark: Dahlonega