Ancient Coin Books & References
The books listed below will help you learn about the history of the ancient world, as well as interpret the designs and legends on the ancient coins in your collection. Please see our Ancient Coin Books page for a selection of books available for purchase.
Roman Coin References
- Ancient Coin Collecting,
- Four separate volumes that give an in-depth overview to collecting ancient coins.
- Coinage and History of the Roman Empire,
- Invaluable study of more than 550 years of Roman history and numismatics, in a two-volume set. Biographies of the emperors and their families based on current historical information. An indispensable set, destined to be a classic!
- Dictionary of Ancient Roman Coins,
- Traditional A-Z format, this dictionary lists deities, denominations, titles and many other topics.
- History and Coinage of the Roman Imperators,
- Exceptional book that covers 435 coin types during this turbulent period of Roman history. Contains a wealth of historical and numismatic information.
- Roman Coins and Their Values,
- One of the most highly acclaimed multi-volume, comprehensive references that catalogues thousands of Roman coins, spanning nearly eight centuries. Useful information on emperors, denominations, reverse types and mints.
- Volume I: The Republic & the Twelve Caesars, 280 B.C. - A.D. 96
- Volume II: Adoptive Emperors to Severans, A.D. 96-235
- Volume III: The Third Century Crisis and Recovery, A.D. 235-285
- Volume IV: The Tetrarchies and the Rise of the House of Constantine, A.D. 284-337
- Volume V: In preparation
Roman Provincial Coin References
- Greek Imperial Coins and Their Values,
- Coverage of Greek coins during the 1st century Roman period, as well as Judean and Parthian coins.
- Tetradrachms of Roman Egypt,
- Essential reprint of a long unavailable reference that lists over 2,100 tetradrachms. Supplemented with article reprints, price lists and auction catalogues.
Byzantine Coin References
- Byzantine Coins and Their Values,
- New comprehensive revision of the 1974 edition. Over 2,500 coins listed with extensive illustrations. This is the standard handbook on Byzantine coins for the collector.
Greek Coin References
- Coinage in the Greek World,
- Good general introduction to Greek coins linking history with the evolution of coin denominations.
- Dictionary of Ancient Greek Coins,
- Dictionary of terms relevant to denominations, moneyers, types, mythology, games, economics, and much more.
- Greek Coins,
- Easy-to-follow overview of Greek coins and their regions of origin, from the 7th to the 1st century B.C.
- Greek Coins and Their Values,
- Volume 1 catalogues European Greek Coinage. Over 3,300 coins listed, with 1,500 illustrations. Volume 2 catalogues coins of Asia Minor, Africa and the Hellenistic Empires. Over 4,500 coins listed, with 2,000 illustrations.
Biblical Coin References
- Guide to Biblical Coins,
- Fifth edition of the most widely used reference in the field of ancient Judaean and Biblical coins. Describes over 525 coins in detail with current values, charts, line drawings and translations. Interesting and easy to follow.
Ancient Coin Periodicals
- The Celator,
Other Ancient Coin Books
- 100 Greatest Ancient Coins,
- Part of Whitman Publishing's "100 Greatest" series, this is the first volume dedicated to non-U.S. collectibles. Handsomely illustrated in full color, this edition chronicles each ancient coin's location in history. Glossary depicts featured coins at actual size for comparison. Hardcover, 144 pages.
- Roman Base Metal Coins Guide,
- An aid in identifying the coins in your ancient Roman collection. Includes hundreds of artists' renderings accurately depicting bronze coins by emperor. This comprehensive book covers Rome's Imperial period of coinage, from 27 B.C. – A.D. 476.
- The Monetary Systems of the Greeks and Romans,
- Original research by numismatists, historians and economists into the complexities of ancient Greek and Roman monetary systems – how and why coinage was used, how Greeks and Romans made large and small payments, and how the systems were integrated throughout the empires. Hardcover/softcover, 344 pages.
- The Legend of Alexander the Great on Greek and Roman Coins,
- Illustrated presentation of portraits and representations of Alexander the Great on ancient Greek and Roman coins for over 700 years from 320 B.C. to A.D. 400. The posthumous appreciation for Alexander's legend on centuries of coinage is unique in numismatic history. Hardcover/softcover, 179 pages
- Classical Deception: Counterfeits, Forgeries and Reproductions of Ancient Coins,
- Essential collector's guide to detection of counterfeits, forgeries and reproductions of ancient coins. Traces the history of well-known forgers, common fakes and manufacturing techniques. Tools and methods of detection are described, and a catalog of unpublished work by renowned coin reproduction artist Peter Rosa is included. Softcover, 196 pages with over 200 illustrations.
- Coins, Bodies, Games, and Gold: The Politics of Meaning in Archaic Greece,
- Innovative, well-documented study of the ideological functions of ancient metals and money. Demonstrates how rival political groups in ancient Greece used coinage to imprint their views on the world, and reveals fascinating aspects of ancient Greek culture. Hardcover/softcover, 384 pages.