Add the intrigue of old British money to your collection with the last 5 large penny designs before decimal coinage debuted in 1971. Slightly larger than a U.S. half dollar, the coins feature the reigning monarch and a common Britannia reverse. Your set will include:
- 1895-1901 Queen Victoria Penny – her long 1837-1901 reign was an era of peace, prosperity and expansion of the British Empire.
- 1902-1910 King Edward VII Penny – the eldest son of Queen Victoria, he maintained strong relations with other European countries and modernized the British Navy.
- 1911-1936 King George V Penny – the son of Edward VII, his 1910-1936 reign included the First World War and saw the British Empire expand to its greatest extent.
- 1937-1948 King George VI Penny – second son of George V, he reigned from 1936-1952 after his older brother Edward abdicated to marry an American divorcee.
- 1953-1967 Queen Elizabeth II Penny – bearing the last large penny design, this coin depicting the current monarch marks the end of Britain’s pre-decimal coinage.
Get this set including two coins over a century old!