This 1940 Washington quarter Proof is a “must” for those hoping to complete a date and mint mark collection of sought-after early quarters. Proof coins represent the pinnacle of the minter’s art, and mintages back then were far lower than today.
- Struck especially for collectors
- A low-mintage Proof
- Just 11,246 Proofs struck by the Philadelphia Mint that year
- Intended to be a one-year commemorative marking the 200th anniversary of George Washington's birth
- Designer John Flanagan's initials JF are at the base of Washington’s neck.
Once overlooked, these early 90% silver quarters are more difficult to find because Statehood quarters brought millions of new collectors to the hobby who are now eagerly seeking older issues – so don’t wait to order!
- Mint Mark: Philadelphia
- Product Type: Single Products
- Year: 1940